This lesson happened just before the first reading of Which Pet is Best? The book had been used in several reading sessions the previous week. In this session, several pages, not the entire book, are used as a warm-up at the beginning of shared reading time to extend oral language. Students join in the reading as they choose. The language focus is on continuing to use positional words. The vocabulary of “lumberjack” was used by students during the previous week and, as it was a known word, we used that word.
Extend Oral Language with Kindergartners (Video 6 of 7)
- What does Guided Reading look like at Grades 3-5?
- Guided Reading: Synthesizing and Talking About the Pair (Video)
- Guided Reading: First Reading of Fiction Text MONKEY'S TAIL (Video)
- Guided Reading: Returning to Informational Text CLEVER TAILS (Video)
- Guided Reading: Returning to the Book for Phonemic Awareness (Video)