Effective Date: September 2020
- the information that Okapi Educational Publishing, Inc. (“Okapi” or “we”, “us” or “our”) collects from you in any form through our applications, online services or Okapi websites (including but not limited to https://myokapi.com , https://flyingstarttoliteracy.com, https://despegando-hacia-la-lectura.com, https://okapi-bookrooms.com, https://worldwise-reading.com, https://exploramundos-reading.com/, https://thinkokapi.com, https://okapi-digital-literacy.com (collectively “Websites”);
- how we collect, use and disclose the information that we receive, including sharing any Personal Information (as defined below) with third parties; and
- how we store and secure information.
Definition of Information
The term “Non-Personal Information” is used to describe information that cannot be used to directly or indirectly to identify an individual person and that is not linked to information that can be used to directly or indirectly to identify an individual person. Non-Personal Information includes passively collected information about activities on our Websites, such as usage data, to the extent that information is not linked to any Personal Information.
How to Contact Us
Okapi Educational Publishing, Inc.
42381 Rio Nedo, Temecula, CA 92590
Services We Provide
We offer the following services (“Services”) on our Websites:
- We provide products, services, tools and resources to educators to help support and facilitate the education process;
- Our Websites offer tips and practical guidance for literacy teachers;
- We offer on-line educational facilitation tools, including but not limited to, Flying Start to Literacy Activities and Worldwise – Content -Based Learning Investigations. Teachers may use these tools inside and outside the classroom to help students meet educational goals.
- We work with independent sales representative to make our tools and resources available to educators.
Information We Collect
Information You Provide to Us. We will collect certain Personal Information as well as Non-Personal Information from you that you voluntarily provide.
- Account Information. You can create an account with us to receive newsletters and communications from us and also to track orders, download products, access purchased services, and manage account information. If you choose to register and create a user account with us, we collect your first and last name, e-mail address and send you a verification email.
- Newsletter/Communications/Sample Request. You can provide us with your email address, your title or position and school or district information to receive our newsletter and receive information from leading voices in literacy and gain access to tools for immediate use. To request samples of our products, you would also provide mailing address, telephone and appropriate grade level information.
- Purchase Products/Services. If you would like to purchase a product or service from our on-line store at https://myokapi.com/okapi-store, you will be asked to provide your name, address, email address, and school/district information. If you choose to make payment via credit card, you will be prompted to enter credit card information, which will be sent via a secure connection directly to our third-party payment processor. You also will have the option to store your payment information. Our third party payment processor provides the stored payment option. We do not have access to your payment information.
- Contact Us. If you provide us with feedback or contact us via e-mail, we will collect your name and e-mail address, as well as any other content included in the e-mail, in order to send you a reply.
Information We Receive From Your Use of Our Website
Location of Information
Okapi is based in the United States, and the information we collect is hosted in the United States including, through our third party service provider, Amazon Web Services (‘AWS’). Therefore, any information we collect is governed by and our Services are operated in accordance with United States law. If you are using the Services outside the United States, you consent to having your information and data transferred to the United States. While users from countries other than the United States may access certain of our Services, Okapi makes no representation or warranty that the Services are operated in accordance with the laws or regulations of, or governed by, other nations. If you are from any jurisdiction with laws or regulations governing the use of the internet, including the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information, that are different from those of the United States, you may only use the Services in a manner lawful in your jurisdiction.
Personal Information We Receive From Others.
Links to and from Third Party Websites
How We Use and Share Your Personal Information
We use your Personal Information only for purposes of providing the Services described above. We do not sell your Personal Information to anyone. Specifically, we will use or share your Personal Information as detailed below.
With your consent. We may share your Personal Information with third parties if you have given us your consent to do so.
To perform services. We may use or disclose your Personal Information to third parties in order to perform Services you request such as processing an order for the delivery of a Flying Start to Literacy product.
To communicate with you. We use your Personal Information to send you information about our Services, to respond to you when you contact us, to call you as a part of secondary fraud protection, or to solicit your feedback. If you provided us with an email address, we may also send newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials related to our Services. You can control these marketing communications by using your notification preferences in account settings or via the “Unsubscribe” link in an email.
With third party service providers performing services on our behalf. We may share your Personal Information with our third party service providers to perform the functions for which we engage them. For example, a third party payment processor collects all credit card information for secure processing and storage. Further, we may share information as needed to operate other related services. For example, we may work with Google Analytics so that Google Analytics can provide us with information about Website usage.
To improve, personalize, and develop Services. We use the information we collect to improve and personalize Services and to develop new services and benefits.
Legal Basis for Processing Your Personal Information
We will only use your Personal Information when the applicable law allows us to. Under most circumstances, we will use your Personal Information for the following permissible reasons:
- When we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you (e.g. when we provide products or services to you or your school district);
- When it is necessary for us to carry out our legitimate interest so long as your interests and fundamental rights do not override our interests;
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation; or
- When we have your consent (e.g. when you request to receive newsletters or additional information). You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us.
Your Options Regarding Your Information
If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to accept cookies from our Services for any of the purposes described above, then you can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. Consult your browser’s technical information. If you do not accept cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Services or all functionality of the Services.
Change Your Personal Information
All users may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in their user account by contacting us https://myokapi.com/contact-us . If you completely delete all of your Personal Information with us, then your user account will be deactivated. We may retain an archived copy of your records. If you are in a country within the European Economic Area (“EEA”), we will archive your Personal Information only as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
Access or Object to Use of Your Information
In addition to the opt-out and edit options, if you are in a country within the EEA, you can request access to your Personal Information, object to or seek to restrict our processing of your Personal Information in certain circumstances. Please note that you can always ask us to delete your Personal Information from all marketing communications or subscriptions at any time.
If you need further assistance regarding your options, please contact us and we will consider your request in accordance with applicable laws. If you are in the EEA, you also have a right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
We retain Personal Information we collect only for as long as needed as part of the Services we provide. We will retain and use this Personal Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements with users, and/or the period required by laws in applicable jurisdictions.
We use a combination of technical, administrative, and physical controls designed to safeguard and help prevent the unauthorized access to your Personal Information. These controls are implemented in order to maintain the security of your Personal Information, including the use of encryption, physical access controls, information access controls, anti-virus and anti-malware software, along with managed service infrastructure support and cloud hosting from leading information technology and security providers, including AWS. If you have a security-related concern, please contact us. Always be sure to secure your login credentials for on-line access. In order to protect you and your Personal Information, we may suspend your use of any of the on-line service, without notice, pending an investigation, if we suspect any breach of security.
Please be aware that, despite our best efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Therefore, Okapi cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any Personal Information collected through the Services and cannot be responsible for the theft, destruction, loss or inadvertent disclosure of any Personal Information.
Do Not Track
The term “Do Not Track” refers to a HTTP header offered by certain web browsers to request that websites refrain from tracking the user. We take no action in response to Do Not Track requests.
CA Consumer Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 (known as the “Shine the Light” law) requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California customers about Personal Information disclosed to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. We do not disclose customers’ Personal Information to third parties for third parties’ direct marketing purposes. In the event we do so in the future, we will not disclose any of your Personal Information to third parties for third parties’ direct marketing purposes unless you consent at the time that you provide your Personal Information.